Click on the hearts!
Cinnamon Rolls are timeless classic of American cuisine! Here is the recipe for the Cinnamon Rolls for Beginners.
Did you know that cinnamon rolls are also very popular in Sweden? They even have their own national Cinnamon Roll Day or Kanelbulle Day, on October 4th. Don’t wait for this date to try them, they taste the whole year !
A recipe for beginners!
I know what it is: I wasn’t into baking in the beginning. So when I saw a recipe where I had to make the dough rise, and wait and so on, I was a bit nervous. I thought “Oh no, it’s not for me, I can’ t do it”. If you feel the same way, try this recipe, it will change your mind about baking!
Having made all the mistakes in baking myself, I’ll give you some tips on how to get it right the first time.
How to make cinnamon rolls?
The most important thing is the dough, and above all to make it rise well. I advise you, especially if you are new to pastry, to always have a small kitchen scale with you. It will help you to precisely weigh your ingredients.
Step 1: The yeast
First of all, start by activating the yeast. This step involves giving the yeast something to multiply, which will help the dough to rise faster.
For this recipe, I chose fresh yeast for baking. You can replace it with dry yeast, in this case you just have to divide the quantity by two (14 g of fresh yeast or 7 g of dry yeast).
Dissolve the yeast in 3 tablespoons of water. Then heat 150 ml of milk with 40 g of butter in a saucepan or in the microwave on low heat. Then leave to cool. Next, add the yeast. Leave to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
IMPORTANT: The milk and butter must not be too hot, otherwise it will “kill” the yeast. The ideal temperature is between 25°C and 35C. When in doubt, I use a small thermometer, like the one used to check the temperature of wine, to measure the temperature of the milk BEFORE adding the yeast.
Step 2: The dough
Meanwhile, mix in a bowl, 300 g of flour with 30 g of sugar, a package of vanilla sugar and a pinch of salt. Then, add the yeast and milk/butter mixture and mix well.
Knead the dough for 5 minutes with them until you get a smooth dough. Form a ball. Cover it with a clean cloth and let it rest for 45 minutes to two hours. If you have a heat source such as a radiator or a room that is warmer than the others, place it there. The dough should double in volume.
Cinnamon rolls for beginners
Step 3: The cinnamon butter
Start by preparing the cinnamon butter. Mix 60 g of soft butter, 40 g of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
Preparation of the rolls
Step 4: Shape the rolls
After the dough has risen, remove the air from the dough by kneading it lightly. Then, roll it out into a rectangle of about 40 x 30 cm.
Spread the cinnamon butter on the dough. Next, roll the dough lengthwise to form a roll. Cut it into 6 to 8 slices. Place the rolls in the greased pan. Leave them to rest again for about 30 minutes to allow them to rise a little more.
Preheat the oven to 175°C. Finally, bake the rolls in the oven for 25 minutes. Let them cool down a little.
Step 5: The icing
There are lots of different icing recipes.Since it is a recipe for cinnamon rolls for beginners, I have chosen here an ultra simple and quick glaze that will give a nice shine to the rolls.
Simply mix 3 tablespoons of icing sugar with 2 tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 tablespoon of water. Apply it to the cinnamon rolls.
If you liked this recipe of Cinnamon Rolls for Beginners, you will surely like these other easy baking recipes as well:
Feel free to leave me a comment if you liked this recipe or if you have any questions.
Cinnamon Rolls for Beginners
Clique sur les cœurs !
For the dough
- 300 g flour
- 150 ml milk
- 40 g butter
- 30 g sugar
- 1 pck. vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 14 g fresh yeast or 7 g of dry yeast
For the cinnamon butter
- 60 g soft butter
- 49 g sugar
- 2 tsp. of cinnamon
For the glaze
- 3 tbsp. icing sugar
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
Preparation of the dough
- Dissolve the yeast in 3 tablespoons of water. Then heat 150 ml of milk with 40 g of butter in a saucepan or in the microwave on low heat. Then leave to cool.
- Next, add the yeast. Leave to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- IMPORTANT: The milk and butter must not be too hot, otherwise it will “kill” the yeast. The ideal temperature is between 25° C and 35° C.
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the sugar, vanilla sugar and salt. Add the yeast and butter/milk mixture and mix well.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes. Form a ball. Cover it with a clean cloth and let it rest for 45 minutes to two hours.
Preparation of the cinnamon butter
- Mix the soft butter with, sugar and cinnamon.
Preparation of the rolls
- Knead the dough and roll it out into a rectangle (about 40 x 30 cm). Spread the cinnamon butter over the dough.
- Roll up the dough lengthwise. Cut it into about 6 to 8 slices.
- Place the individual rolls in a greased baking pan. Laissez reposer une nouvelle fois pendant environ 30 minutes pour qu'ils grossissent encore un peu.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C. Bake for about 25 minutes. Let it cool a little.
Preparation of the icing
- For the icing, beat the icing sugar, lemon juice andwater. Apply it to the cinnamon rolls.