The best part? You can get creative with the fillings based on what you have on hand. In this recipe, I’ve chosen a French savory cake with tuna, feta cheese, and green olives.
List of Ingredients
Baking a French cake salé requires just a handful of simple ingredients. The beauty of this savory cake lies in its adaptability, allowing you to customize the filling based on what ingredients you have readily available.
For the savory cake batter
- Flour: I used a simple all-purpose flour. Replace with wholemeal flour for a healthier version or gluten-free flour for dietary needs.
- Eggs: I used medium-size eggs.
- Baking powder: Baking powder helps cake rise, making it lighter and fluffier.
- Milk: Milk adds moisture to the batter. You can replace it with the same quantity of plain yogurt or a plant-based milk.
- Olive oil: Adds good fats and makes the cake fluffy and soft. Can substitute with other vegetable oils like canola or sunflower oil.
For the filling
- Tuna: I used canned tuna. Tuna brings some protein and richness to the cake. You can replace tuna with ham, bacon lardons or smoked salmon.
- Cheese: Adds richness and creaminess. Choose your favorite type such as cheddar, Gruyere, or mozzarella. Use vegan cheese for a dairy-free option.
- Olives: Provide a briny and savory taste. I choose green olives but black olives work perfectly too! You can replace olives with sun-dried tomatoes or roasted peppers for a different flavor.
- Parsley: Adds freshness and a hint of herbal flavor. You can substitute it with dill, basil or chives.
- Black pepper: Enhances the overall taste with a touch of spiciness. You can replace it or even add other spices like paprika or cayenne pepper for more heat.
You will find the exact quantities in the recipe card.
How to make a cake salé?
- Step 1: Preheat your oven to 200°C (390°F) and grease a loaf pan or cake tin with olive oil. Line with baking paper if necessary.
- Step 2: Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl: flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Step 3: Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well. Pour in the milk and olive oil, stirring constantly.
- Step 4: Add tuna, crumbled feta, chopped green olives, finely chopped parsley and a little black pepper to the dough. Mix until the dough is evenly distributed.
- Step 5: Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it out evenly. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown on top and the tip of a knife in the center comes out clean.
Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool in the tin for a few minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing. Bon appétit!
How to serve a French savory cake?
Whether you’re hosting a party, going on a picnic, or simply enjoying a relaxed evening with friends, savory cake is the perfect choice for a healthy and satisfying snack.
It can be prepared in advance, making it convenient for transportation, and can be enjoyed easily by hand.
A cake salé can also be served as a main dish or starter. For instance, it pairs wonderfully with a fresh green salad and homemade vinaigrette for a light lunch option. The versatility of savory cake makes it a go-to choice for various occasions.
The are many recipes for cakes salés, I choose a tuna, feta cheese and olives but here are some alternatives recipes:
- Vegetarian: sun-dried tomatoes, black olives and goat cheese
- Classic: ham, gruyere and green olives
- Lorraine-style: bacon lardons, onions and emmental cheese
- Mediterran: zucchini, feta cheese, cheery tomatoes
F&Q: French Savory Cake
To determine whether a savoury cake is cooked, perform a test by inserting a toothpick or the tip of a knife into the center: if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked.
Yes, you can make a savory cake in advance. Once the cake has cooled completely, store it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days. If you need to store it for a longer period, you can freeze the savory cake for up to 3 months.
To freeze a savory cake, allow it to cool completely, then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Place it in a freezer-safe container or bag, ensuring there is no excess air, and label with the date. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Don’t hesitate to leave me a comment, it always makes me very happy!
Recipe Card: French Savory Cake
Savory Cake (French cake salé)
Click on the stars to rate!
- 1 loaf pan (23 cm, 9 inches)
- 1 2/3 cup flour (200 g)
- 2 tsp baking powder (8g)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup canned tuna , drained (150 g)
- 1 1/3 feta cheese (200 g)
- 1/2 cup green olives (75 g)
- 2/3 cup olive oil (150 ml)
- 2/3 cup milk (150 ml)
- 1 cup fresh parsley , chopped
- Black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (390°F) and grease a loaf pan or cake tin with olive oil. Line with baking paper if necessary.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl: flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well. Pour in the milk and olive oil, stirring constantly.
- Add tuna, crumbled feta, chopped green olives, finely chopped parsley and a little black pepper to the dough. Mix until the dough is evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it out evenly. Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown on top and the tip of a knife in the center comes out clean.