This garlic bread with parmesan is so fluffy and tasty! It is perfect to accompany barbecues or salads in the summer.
For the bread dough
For the bread dough, I made a savoury brioche dough with olive oil. In order to obtain a soft and well aerated dough, it is important to leave the dough to rise and therefore to allow the yeast to develop. Allow at least 3 hours for the making of this bread, counting of course the resting time.
First of all, as for a traditional brioche dough, you must start by preparing the yeast. You can use dry or fresh baker’s yeast. I chose dry yeast. If you use fresh yeast, you have to multiply the quantity by two.
So mix 250 ml of warm water with 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of dry yeast and 2 tablespoons of flour. Leave to stand for 15 to 30 minutes. If the mixture foams slightly, that’s a good sign! This means that the yeast is working.
Then mix 370 g of flour and 2 teaspoons of salt in a bowl. Add the yeast mixture and a tablespoon of olive oil. Knead for 10 minutes to obtain a smooth dough. If you have a food processor, now is the time to use it!
Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a clean cloth and let the dough rise, covered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The volume should double.
For the parmesan garlic filling
For the garlic and parmesan filling, I mixed 50 ml of olive oil, 4 cloves of garlic, 5 to 6 stalks of parsley, 4 to 5 stalks of thyme and 90 g of parmesan. You can completely vary the herbs by adding rosemary or herbes de provence.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
How to shape the garlic and parmesan bread?
Once the dough has rested, knead the dough to remove the air. Divide the dough into three equally sized pieces. Form a roll with each piece. Roll out the roll and form a rectangle. Place 1/3 of the filling in the middle of the rectangle. Form a roll again. Do the same with the other two pieces. Braid the three rolls together.
Place the braid in an oiled cake tin and let the braid rest for another 30 minutes to 1 hour to let it rise again. Personally, I don’t always do this because I don’t have enough time and the bread stays just as soft! Bake in the oven for 35 min at 180 °C.
See the recipe in video. It is only 1m30s long and will explain you in details how to proceed! Link to the video.
To accompany this garlic bread with barmesan cheese, have a look at this simple recipe for San Marzano tomato salad.
Garlic bread with parmesan cheese
For the dough
- 250 ml water warm
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. dry yeast
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 370 g flour
For the filling
- 50 ml olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 5 stems of parsley
- 4 stems of thyme
- 90 g Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
For the dough
- Mix warm water with the sugar, the dried yeast and 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Leave to stand for 15 minutes.
- Mix the flour and salt, add the yeast mixture and 1 tablespoon of oil and knead for 10 minutes to a smooth dough.
- Lightly oil a bowl and let the dough rise in it covered for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The volume should double.
For the bread
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- For the filling mix olive oil, garlic, parsley, thyme and parmesan with a blender.
- Knead the dough and divide it into three pieces. Form a roll with each piece.
- Roll out the roll and form a rectangle. Place 1/3 of the filling in the middle of the rectangle.
- Roll out the dough into a roll again. Do the same with the other two pieces. Braid the three rolls together.
- Place the bread in an oiled cake tin.
- Bake for 35 minutes.