Click on the stars to vote!
This is one of my favorite cabbage recipes : Oven Roasted Cabbage with Tahini Sauce. This oven roasted cabbage is an easy recipe that is ready in no time! It makes a very nice side dish or you can serve it as a main dish for a light dinner.
Cabbages are winter vegetables par excellence ! There are many variations how to prepare cabbages but one of my favorite ways is definitively roasted in the oven. It give the cabbages a sweet and nutty touch with additional roasted flavors.
For the recipe, you only need a fee ingredients.
- White cabbage: I used a whole white cabbage. This recipes works very good with other cabbages as well such as red cabbage, pointed cabbage also know as hispi cabbage or green cabbage.
- Olive oil: I love to cook with olive oil! I use it to marinate my cabbage before roasting it in the oven.
- Spices: I used the following spices to season by cabbage: sweet paprika, cumin, Espelette pepper (you can use red pepper flakes) salt and black pepper. You can be creative with the spices and add you favorite spice.
- Garlic: I like to add a garlic note to my roasted vegetables and it wokrs great with cabbage as well. I used garlic flakes but you can use a fresh garlic clove instead.
- Tahini: Tahini is a sesame paste typical from the Middle East cuisine. It goes very well with roasted vegetables.
- Lemon: I like to balance the tahini dressing with a little bit of lemon juice to add some freshness to it.
You will find the excat quantities in the recipe card.
How to make this Oven Roasted Cabbage with Tahini Sauce ?
- CUT: Cut the cabbage in half using a large knife and a cutting board. Be careful not to slip. Cut it then into 8 wedges.
- BRUSH: In a small bowl, mix the olive oil with the spices (paprika, cumin and garlic powder). Season with salt and pepper. Place cabbage wedges on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Brush both sides of the wedges with the olive oil.
- ROAST: Roast in the oven for 40 minutes at 200°C (300 °F). Turn the wedges over after 20 minutes. If the cabbage start to blacken, cover it with aluminum foil.
- TAHINI SAUCE: Meanwhile, combine the tahini, water and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Whisk well to obtain a smooth consistency. If the sauce is too liquid, add more tahini. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water.
- SERVE: Once the cabbage is roasted, add a spoonful of tahini sauce on a plate, add the cabbage wedges, add a tahini drizzle on top, some sesame seeds and a little parsley for decoration.
How to vary this recipe ?
You have different option to vary this recipe:
- Change the spices for a more mediterran touch with for example some thyme, rosemary or oregano.
- Change the sauce for an easy yoghurt and herb sauce such as in my recipe for Zucchini Pancakes with Yogurt Dip or a miso based sauce such as in my recipe for Pointed Cabbage with Miso Sauce.
- Cut the cabbage into slices to make roasted cabbage steaks instead of wedges.
More cabbage recipes
- Stir-Fried Napa Cabbage with Soy Sauce
- Pointed Red Cabbage and Feta Salad
- Grilled pointed cabbage with miso sauce
Don’t hesitate to leave me a comment, it always makes me very happy!
Oven Roasted Cabbage with Tahini Sauce
Click on the stars to rate!
- 1 white cabbage
- 80 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp of paprika
- 1 tbsp of cumin
- 1 teaspoon Espelette pepper or red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons of garlic flakes
- Sesame seeds
For the tahini sauce
- 4 tablespoons of tahini
- 2 tablespoons of cold water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cut the cabbage in half and then into 8 wedges.
- In a small bowl, add the olive oil, paprika, cumin and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place cabbage wedges on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush both sides of the wedges with the olive oil.
- Roast in the oven for 40 minutes at 200°C. Turn the wedges over after 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the tahini, water and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Whisk well to obtain a smooth consistency.
- If the sauce is too liquid, add more tahini. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water.
- Once the cabbage is roasted, add a spoonful of tahini sauce, the cabbage quarters, add a spoonful of tahini, some sesame seeds and a little parsley as decoration.