Click on the hearts!
This Saturday morning, I was craving for homemade bagels with cream cheese. I didn’t wanted to wait hours before having breakfast, so I decided to try easy homemade bagels with only 5 ingredients. It was ready in 30 minutes!
And you know what? And, as a bagel connoisseur, I must admit, I was quite impressed. This quick 5 ingredients easy homemade bagel recipe will surely don’t replace the traditional bagel recipe but it is a great alternative for a last minute weekend homemade breakfast.
I tried different recipes among other two-ingredient bagels from the instagrammer Jessica Hirsch, but this one is the one I had the best results!
List of ingredients
For this easy homemade bagel recipe, you need 5 simple ingredients to make the bagel dough. For the the bagel seasoning, you can choose your favorite grains.
- Flour: I used a all-purpose flour. You can replace part the flour with whole wheat flour or rye flour for a healthier recipe. This recipe works well for gluten-free bagels too, in this case replace the flour with your favorite gluten-free flour mix and part of almond flour.
- Greek Yogurt: I used a regular greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is a key ingredient so it is important to make sure that your yoghurt as at least 10 % fat, your bagels will taste softer than with low fat yogurt. I found it easier to work with a cold yogurt directly taken out from the fridge than a yogurt at room temperature.
- Baking powder: The baking powder replaces the yeast and does not require any resting time.
- Salt: I use regular salt, just make sure to use a fine salt and no coarse salt.
- Egg: You just need the egg for the egg wash but it is not part of the dough. I use the egg yolk mixed with a few drops of water to make the bagels look a shiny and golden brown.
How to make the dough?
The bagel dough is prepare in no time! Just combine the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl: flour, salt and baking powder.
Incorporate the greek yogurt to the flour mixture using a spoon or a spatula.
Sprinkle your board with flour, knead your dough very briefly to form a ball.
Since the dough contains no yeast and is moreover quite wet, you cannot and don’t need to knead it too long.
It is just important to make sure that the ingredients are well combined together and the surface of the dough is relatively smooth.
Shape the bagels
Divide the dough in 4 equal pieces and form 4 small balls.
With your index finger, make a hole in the middle of a ball and carefully expand the hole to get the form of a bagel.
Your bagels will not have a nice a smooth texture at this stage, but it is absolutely okay because they will rise in the oven and take a beautiful bagel shape.
Place the uncooked bagels on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
Beat the egg yolk with a few drops of water and brush the bagels. Add your favorite seasoning on top of each bagel.
Personally, I love bagels with lots of seasoning on it! I prepare my homemade bagel seasoning with the following grains: white sesame, black sesame and just a little bit of roasted dried garlic and dried onions.
This seasoning is perfect if you plan to eat a savory bagel. The dried onions and garlic can taste strange with confiture.
So for sweet bagels, I recommend you a seasoning with sesame seeds and/or poppy seeds only.
Bake the bagels
Bake the bagels in the oven (fan oven) for 20-25 min at 200 °C (390 °F). Once the bagels are golden on top, take them our the oven and let them cool for 15 min.
It is important to let them cool well before cutting them. Serve these bagels with your favorite cream cheese. I added some smoked salmon, dill and capers.
More homemade breakfast recipes
- Almond Milk Crepes (Dairy Free)
- Cinnamon Rolls (super fluffy)
- Healthy Yogurt and Cinnamon Pancakes
- Brioche French Toast, soft and crispy!
Frequently asked questions
How long do these homemade bagels keep?
These bagels will keep for 48 hours. Place leftover bagels on a plate covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container.
However, they really taste better the same day. Therefore, I recommend that you bake only the amount you need or freeze the leftovers the same day.
Can I freeze these homemade bagels?
Yes, definitely. I recommend you freeze them as soon as possible after cooling. They taste fresher when reheated.
Don’t hesitate to leave me a comment, it always makes me very happy!
Easy Homemade Bagels (5 ingredients)
Click on the hearts
- 200 g flour
- 250 g greek yogurt
- 5 g salt
- 5 g baking powder
- 1 egg
- Combine the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl: flour, salt and baking powder. Mix well.
- Incorporate the greek yogurt to the flour mixture using a spoon or a spatula.
- Sprinkle your board with flour, knead your dough very briefly to form a ball. Divide the dough in 4 equal pieces and form 4 small balls.
- With your index finger, make a hole in the middle of a ball and carefully expand the hole to get the form of a bagel.
- Place the uncooked bagels on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg yolk with a few drops of water and brush the bagels. Add your favorite seasoning on top of each bagel.
- Bake the bagels in the oven (fan oven) for 20-25 min at 200 °C (390 °F). Once the bagels are golden on top, take them our the oven and let them cool for 15 min before cutting them.