Click on the stars to vote!
After the Baked Feta Pasta recipe in early 2021, TikTok’s viral sensation recipe in 2022 was the famous TikTok Salmon Rice Bowl, a delicious recipe that is really easy to make and so comforting too.
I must admit, as always with TikTok food trends, I was at first skeptical when I saw this viral salmon rice bowl everywhere on social media. Then, I ended up testing the recipe and it’s true that I was not disappointed!
Where does this recipe comes from ?
The viral tiktok trend started with Emily mariko salmon rice bowl and many creators and foodies tried the recipe at home and kept posting it.
Even if, as always with viral videos some criticized this salmon bowl recipe for being too salty or not healthy enough, the recipe has still become very successful because it is incredibly easy to prepare and perfect for a quick meal.
The list of ingredients
For this salmon rice bowl recipe, you need the following ingredients.
- Rice: I used a simple short-grain rice that I had left in my cupboards. Japanese rice is ideal, but in the end, it’s just about making do with what you have. You can use white rice or for a healthier version brown rice.
- Salmon: I used a fresh salmon fillet but you can use salmon leftovers. As the salmon will be mashed mashed, I took a simple fillet. If you have a large piece of salmon, you can take advantage of it to use the lower, thinner part for this recipe and keep the thicker salmon fillets for another recipe.
- Soy sauce: I used a simple Japanese soy sauce. Be careful not to use a dark soy sauce.
- Sesame oil: I used sesame oil to season the salmon. It’s optional but I think it gives a good taste to the salmon. If you don’t have sesame oil, you can use olive oil.
- Sesame seeds: I used white and black sesame seeds. They are more for decoration than for the taste and can be left out if you don’t have some at home.
- Avocado: Avocado is just used as a topping. You can remove it or choose another topping like cooked broccoli, edamame, kimchi or cucumber.
- Seaweed sheets: You will find seaweed sheets also under the name nori leaves under the asian or japanese section in your local grocery store.
- Sriracha Mayo: For this recipe, I used sriracha mayo to give this salmon rice bowl a bit of spiciness! But originally, the recipe was served with japanese kewpie mayonnaise. Of course, you can use regular mayonnaise too.
Cooking the salmon
The idea behind this recipe is to use leftover cooked salmon. Since in general, I don’t have leftovers when I cook salmon, I simply bought a fresh salmon fillet especially for this recipe.
My salmon fillet was offered with the skin, but you can choose a skinless fillet or even frozen salmon. I first placed my salmon fillet skin side down in a ceramic dish and just seasoned it with sesame oil, salt and pepper. I baked it in the oven for 18-20 min at 200 °C.
One the salmon is cooked, remove the skin if you have some and cut the salmon in small pieces using a fork.
Prepare the rice
If you use leftover rice, you will need to reheat it. And, I have to say TikTok is a great tool to learn new life hacks.
So thanks to Emily Mark’s video, I learned the best food hack to reheat cooked rice: place your rice in a bowl and add an ice cube on the top of the rice. Cover the rice with a sheet of parchment paper.
Reheat the rice in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes.
The ice cube will melt which will release some steam in the microwave and you will get a nice and fluffy rice.
Then, you just add the mashed salmon to your rice, add a drizzle of soy sauce and mix well. I served it with some avocado slices and sesame seeds. To finish, I seasoned my salmon rice bowl a sriracha mayo.
I ate this salmon rice bowl as shown on the TikTok video with a small nori sheet and tucked the rice inside to form like a small taco. If you like, you can add a side of kimchi.
More Tiktok Recipes
- Pesto Eggs, TikTok’s viral recipe
- Baked Feta Pasta, TikTok viral recipe
- Avocado and Scrambled Egg Wrap #tortillatrend
Frequently asked questions
How does this TikTok salmon rice bowl keep ?
One cooked, salmon keeps about 48 hours in the fridge. So if you made this recipe with a leftover salmon fillet, I recommend you make it the next day and keep this recipe 24 hours in a sealed container in a the fridge maximum.
Don’t hesitate to leave me a comment, it always makes me very happy!
TikTok Salmon Rice Bowl
Click on the stars to rate!
- 1 salmon fillet
- 1 cup rice cooked
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 ice cube
- sesame seeds black and white
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil or olive oil
- Sriracha mayo
- 1 seaweed sheet
- Salt and pepper
- Place the salmon fillet in a baking dish, add a drizzle of sesame oil, salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 18-20 min at 200°C.
- Chop the cooked salmon with a fork.
- Reheat your cooked rice if necessary by adding an ice cube to your rice, cover it with a sheet of parchment paper and heat it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix the rice with the salmon and soy sauce in a bowl. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and add the avocado slices. Finish with sriracha mayonnaise.
- Serve the rice in a small seaweed sheet.